If you have Magento and NetSuite ERP, this blog post is for you. It is also written for anyone with Magento who is considering a new ecommerce solution or ERP system. These projects have serious financial implications and require considerable time and energy commitments from your team. Magento is an ecommerce solution used by thousands of businesses, but its dependence on extensions, apps and middleware are forcing customers to second guess the ROI. Additionally, the company’s second acquisition in seven years raises questions regarding the fate of its product suite.
Due diligence is critical to ensuring that you make the right ecommerce or ERP decision for your business. For this reason, we believe you should consider NetSuite SuiteCommerce Advanced and the NetSuite business management suite because they offer better value than Magento. Here are a few things to consider about Magento and NetSuite as you weigh your options.
True Cost of “Upgrading” to Magento 2
Magento is encouraging customers to “upgrade” to Magento 2 after announcing that it extended support for Magento 1 products until June 2020. The word “upgrade” is in quotes because this is an understatement. Magento 2 is an entirely new platform with substantial framework differences so the upgrade process should be treated as a new build or a rebuilding effort.
All extensions and custom code need to be reviewed and rewritten to ensure compatibility with Magento 2 and new versions of PHP. Themes must undergo the same treatment as they are not compatible either. Some extensions and themes are not available in Magento 2 so customers will have to start from scratch.
If you have Magento and are using NetSuite ERP, why put yourself through the hassle of migrating to Magento 2?
- NetSuite manages all patches and upgrades for SuiteCommerce Advanced and everything is backward compatible.
- It is also natively integrated with NetSuite’s ERP, CRM and complete business management suite.
If you don’t have NetSuite ERP and haven’t yet migrated to Magento 2, then ask yourself these questions.
- Why should I keep doing business with a company that requires this much effort to continue using its products?
- Does Magento’s acquisition by Adobe give you confidence that this cycle won’t repeat? (Hello, Adobe Commerce Cloud.)
SuiteCommerce Advanced is a fully managed and integrated ecommerce solution that will scale to meet the needs of your business as it grows. We will happily provide a free consultation so give us a call. (760-520-1611)
Other Reasons Magento Doesn’t Deliver ROI
Speaking of Adobe’s acquisition of Magento, there is a big event this month called Magento Imagine. It is Magento’s annual conference that will feature a variety of product announcements, company updates and forward-looking commitments. The acquisition will be a major topic this year as the companies have been quiet since the transaction was completed in 2018.
Regardless of the announcements at Magento Imagine, these things are the least likely to change…
- Magento will continue utilizing Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). These are less secure and less scalable than a pure cloud solution like NetSuite SuiteCommerce Advanced.
- Magento was not built with any ERP or accounting system in mind. It needs a third-party system or extension and can also require middleware for some common financial processes. NetSuite SuiteCommerce Advanced natively integrates with ERP, CRM, point of sale, and an entire business management suite.
We will work with you to maximize your use of NetSuite SuiteCommerce Advanced and any other NetSuite products so you can focus on your business.